Fun for all the Family
Above: Deepwater Railway
Photo abt 1915 title "Waiting to go to Deepwater Races - Deepwater, NSW" -
magistrate original owner of Deepwater with his brother Archibald Windeyer (1785-1870), landowner and pastoralist.
Amongst those whom death has stricken within the last few days it is our painful duty to record the death of Mr. Charles Windeyer. Nearly attaining his seventy-fifth year, and in better health and spirits than his immediate relatives and friends had observed for some months previously, Mr. Windeyer sank under the oppressive heat of the last few days, and died in his residence at Newtown on Wednesday last. Mr. Windeyer, in early life, made the law his study and, without entering at one of the Inns of Court he was engaged by several of the leading law journals of London as their accredited reporter. Whilst engaged upon the Law Chronicle, and taking notes in the reporters' gallery in the House of Lords, Mr. Windeyer accidentally dropped his notes from his desk upon the floor of the House. Lord Eldon, then Chancellor was, at the moment, proceeding towards the bar to receive a deputation from the Commons, and perceiving Mr. Windeyer's perplexity, he picked up the notes which strewed the floor of the passage, and returned them to him. Lord Eldon, we must observe had been one of the most vehement opponents of the rules which tacitly allowed the reporting and publication of parliamentary proceedings. In 1828, Mr. Windeyer arrived in this colony, and for some time acted as Clerk of Petty Sessions for the Police District of Sydney. He was shortly afterwards appointed Second Police Magistrate of Sydney. This was, in fact, appointing him to the first seat on that bench, seeing that from glaring irregularities (to use no mild term), Colonel Wilson was compelled to vacate his seat as first police magistrate. As a justice of the peace, administering justice in his summary jurisdiction, the memory of Charles Windeyer will be reverently treasured. The suitors in his court - the most impracticable suitors that one be well imagined - left the bar, whether acquitted, or fined, or imprisoned, or committed - quite assured that justice had been done.
And in those very many cases which do not appear before the public, and in the arrangement of which the tact and kind offices of the magistrate are evoked, how many family discords have been appeased by Charles Windeyer? We believe that it was about six years ago, the local government reluctantly accepted his resignation of his office; which was followed by a vote in the Legislative Council, recommending for him a superannuation allowance, and adverting in the highest terms to his long and useful career - The distinguished career of Mr. Windeyer's son Richard, must not be forgotten in this brief and necessarily imperfect memoir of the father. Foremost in the ranks of progress, when the first Representative Council of the colony of New South Wales assembled, stood Richard Windeyer. Threatening, indeed, were our financial difficulties in 1844, but they were boldly and, on the whole, successfully met. The report of the "Monetary Confusion Committee" will long be a text book with our financiers, however they may disagree with some of the axioms laid down by the learned chairman, to whose memory many earnest and eloquent tributes have been paid by his successors.
Sydney Morning Herald, 2 February 1855, p 4 (view original)
It is with regret we have to record the demise of a very old and universally respected resident of the Hunter River district, namely, Mr Archibald Windeyer, of Kinross, Raymond Terrace, which mournful event took place on Tuesday lost, at his residence as above stated. Mr Windeyer attained the ripe age of eighty-four years, and retained the full use of his faculties to the termination of his existence - the immediate cause of death being we understand, decay of nature. He resided at Kinross for upwards of thirty years and was a property owner to a considerable extent in the district. He was a magistrate of the territory for about a quarter of a century, and held the office of Returning Officer for the Lower Hunter electorate, for many years. As a colonist, a neighbour, and a Christian, he excelled many, and was consequently highly esteemed by all who knew him, and especially by those who best knew him. His respect for the Sabbath was, we have been informed, very great; and, in order that his servants might not have any excuse for absenting themselves from public worship on or otherwise desecrating that day, he invariably gave them a half holiday on Saturday, work being ordinarily suspended at one o’clock. He also maintained family worship regularly, and treated all under him with kindness. His remains were interred in the Church of England Cemetery, Raymond Terrace, yesterday - the funeral being largely attended.
We (Editor, Maitland Mercury) may add a few brief remarks to the above extract from our contemporary. Mr Windeyer was one of the few men who realise from time to time, the picture drawn of the "fine old English gentleman ' in the well known song of that name. This feature indeed was his most distinguishing characteristic, so far as we knew him personally - a courteous and obliging man, of good education, of a gentle dignity of manner, but rather retiring than forward in a mixed assembly - a man whom to know was to esteem for life. Mr Windeyer took a prominent part in the early proceedings of the Hunter River Vineyard Association, back in the forties, and for some time in the fifties, but for several years past has not been seen in any public assemblage in Maitland, from the growing infirmities of old age. In his life on the Hunter Mr Windeyer has rarely taken a prominent port in any general public movement; he was but a very moderate public speaker, judging from the few times we have heard him speak. His special usefulness in such matters was rather as chairman of a meeting, or as a member of committee afterwards; in these capacities he was constantly selected by his fellow citizens when present, and in his performance of such duties he exercised a very genial and a most beneficial influence among his neighbours.
- Maitland Mercury, 25 October 1870, p 3 (view original)
- buried Pioneer Hill aka Raymond Terrace Historic Cemetery
- Sundial erected in 1871 by the children and his friends of St John's School to the memory of Archibald Windeyer who died in 1870. Address: Sturgeon Street, St John, Raymond Terrace, 2324
- State: NSW
of William T Cadell nephew of Archibald Windeyer
Mr William T Cadell, of Deepwater Station, who died on Monday night, was probably the best known man in New England. Mr Cadell was a descendant of a long line of active and enterprising Scottish ancestors In 1839 one of the clan, John James Cadell, a graduate in medicine of the Edinburgh University emigrated to Australia married at Windsor on the Hawkesbury and settled at Raymond Terrace where the late William T Cadell was born on July 15 1845 After a successful medical career Dr Cadell entered on pastoral pursuits at Dungowan Station, near Tamworth. Here his son joined him at the age of 16 and received the foundation of that practical knowledge of horses,cattle and sheep which so distinguished him in later years He continued at Dungowan for 14 years, marrying while there the eldest daughter of the Hon J H Macansh The young couple determined to set out for themselves,and in 1875 journeyed north from the old home eventually settling at Deepwater Station. At this period fences were unknown, and 11 shepherds had charge of the 13,500 sheep which formed his flock .From the day of his entry on the station Mr Cadell's ambition was to breed and to own only the very best and finest sheep and cattle and in the main he was singularly successful Deepwater cattle, sheep and wool commanded the highest prices. They frequently topped the markets for weight quality, and price Apart from the work of the station, Mr Cadell had one abiding ' hobby, ' and that was to foster the agricultural shows of the district. He was called by a writer in the 'Stock and Station Journal ' the ' father of New England shows ' His enthusiasm was well shown last year when he opened the Glen Innes Show from his car being unable to, get about
Sydney Morning Herald
Friday 8 Dec 1922
John Donald Macansh
co-owner of Deepwater Station in 1870
Macansh, John Donald
The Hon. John Donald Macansh, M.L.C., whose name is widely known in pastoral circles in Queensland and New South Wales, expired very suddenly at Warwick, Queensland, on Saturday, 1st August. The deceased gentleman was attending a meeting of the Glengallan Divisional Board and succumbed to heart disease. He survived but a few minutes after the attack. The Brisbane Courier contains the following obituary notes :—"Mr. Macansh has been engaged ever since 1840 in farming and squatting pursuits in New South Wales and Queensland. He purchased Canning Downs Estate in 1875, and then came to reside in Queensland. He was called to the Legislative Council in 1886, and has, occupied a seat there ever since. Mr. Macansh is best known throughout Queensland for the great interest he has ever taken in the breeding of dairy cattle and shorthorns. It will be remembered that not long since he offered to the Government 500 acres of the best land on Canning Downs for the starting of an agricultural college."
Son of John Donald Macansh
A member of a well-known Queensland pastoral family died in Melbourne last month, in the person of Dr. William Macansh, of Brighton. Although a medical practitioner and a resident of Melbourne, Dr. Macansh took a very keen and active part in pastoral affairs, and controlled important interests in New South Wales, Queensland, and Western Australia.
Born in the Lower Hunter district, New South Wales, 62 years ago, he was a son of the late Mr. G. D. Macansh, and was educated at the Newcastle Grammar School and Sydney Grammar School. After matriculation at the Sydney University he went to Edinburgh University, where he gained degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Master of Surgery. He then returned to Australia, and for some time travelled with stock and lived on stations in Queensland, eventually taking up the practice of his profession in Melbourne in 1887.
Dr. Macansh did not, however, lose touch with the industry in which his family had taken such an important part in Queensland, and at the time of his death he was acting as managing director of the extensive interests of the Macansh Estates Limited in Anna Plains Station, nor'-west Western Australia, Albilbah, Central Queensland, and Toolebuc, Western Queensland. He took great pleasure in good stock, and was also a director of the Deepwater Estate's properties, Deepwater (Tenterfield district, N.S.W.) and Myall Downs (Warialda district, N.S.W.). He was a man of broad outlook and wide experience, kindly, sympathetic, and lovable, and as one close personal friend of 30 years' standing said, to know him was a privilege.
A brief history of Deepwater NSW
Deepwater Station with surviving slab huts
The Deepwater district was originally Yagambal territory and the Aboriginal name for the area was 'Tal'gambone' or 'Dal'gambone', meaning `dry country with many dead trees'.
Like many towns in the New England region Deepwater was named after the biggest pastoral holding in the area. The naming was supposed to have occurred when a man threw a stone into a deep hole on the river and exclaimed "Hey, that's deep water!" Some believe the man was Archibald Windeyer and others Explorer Allan Cunningham however it appears that Allan Cunningham did not travel through Deepwater but through Inverell instead so it is unlikely he named Deepwater.
Progress was rapid and by 1845 the property covered 60,000 acres and ran 13,500 sheep, 283 cattle and twelve horses with sheep the main industry grown for their fine wool.
In 1848 Archibald took up sole ownership of Deepwater. Archibald also owned a property near Raymond Terrace in Hunter Valley called "Kinross" his family home where he administered his various pastoral interests. By 1848 Deepwater covered 60,000 acres.
1861 saw the first land sales of 'country lots' from the 'Deepwater Reserve', previously part of the Deepwater Run. The blocks were on and near the Deepwater River.
In 1866 Deepwater was described as 'a pastoral hamlet and roadside hotel' = the Deepwater Inn was established about 1862.
In 1868 bushranger Thunderbolt aka Frederick Wordsworth Ward, William Monckton stole two horses from Deepwater Station leaving two others in their place. They took the Deepwater horses to Ranger's Valley, the neighbouring station to be shod. A posse including Ranger's Valley manager, J McMaster set out after the bushrangers with a black tracker but lost their trail.
In 1870 Archibald Windeyer died and his son John (1830-1892), together with his brother-in-law, John Donald Macansh (1820-1896) and nephew William Thomas Cadell, (1845-1922) ran “Deepwater” as a partnership . According to Sydney Morning Herald report the property was put up for sale in Feb 1875 and by April of the same year it was purchased by Messers J D Macansh, J Windeyer & W T Cadell.
John Donald Macansh had married Sarah Jane Windeyer (1826-1900) in 1849; he became a magistrate and Member for Legislative Assembly in QLD. William Cadell later married Anne (1849-1934) a daughter of John Donald Macansh in 1873.
By 1872 there were two hotels operating - the Deepwater Inn and the Commercial Hotel [established in 1871 with attached Post Office] a blacksmith, a couple of shops and a carrier.
With the construction of the Great Northern Rail Line in 1884 a public school was established. The first teacher was Mr John Grigg and the building was situated on the present entrance to the race course. It acted as both a church and a school under a 3 year lease with the Council of Education. However 3 years later the Trustees of the School requested a separate school as the Trustees of the Church wanted the building for church purposes only.
By 1888 the new school was erected where the present school stands in Young Street with Mr David Berry as the appointed teacher. The wooden building eventually succumbed to white ants and was demolished in 1927 and replaced with a new brick building that still stands today.
A paper called titled the "Deepwater, Vegetable Creek and Castlerag Miner, Nine Mile and Torrington Advocate"was printed and published by J. Leslie King for the Deepwater Newspaper Company commenced publication in 1889. It was also known as the "Deepwater Miner"
The Deepwater Railway was opened on 1 September 1886. Tin mining boomed at Emmaville, Stannum and Torrington and these mines were served by the Deepwater railhead. Molbdenite finds were made around Deepwater in the late 19th century. During its heyday two daily trains for passengers and one mail train ran to and from Sydney stopped at all stations. The other train the Brisbane Express made its first stop at Deepwater.
Deepwater was described as 'the busiest second class station on the Great Northern Line' and William T Cadell of the Deepwater estate took advantage of the rail to transport the Deepwater wool clip commencing in spring 1886. He also transported stock to the meatworks in the 1890's from his Deepwater estate the main pastoral client of the railways. WT Cadell lobbied the government for improved stock holding yards. He wanted to assure potential buyers that the Deepwater clip 'goes from the shed to the railway trucks as fast as it is shorn' a distance of 2 miles.
By 1891 the population of the village had risen to 362 and during the railways heyday the residents of Deepwater enjoyed two daily trains to and from Sydney with one mail train stopping at all stations and the other, the Brisbane Express making its first stop Deepwater. While all other stations south of Deepwater were serviced by another train to Glen Innes.
The railway which created the town later reversed its policies and caused the closure of the tin smelters by doubling the freight on ingots of tin but not on untreated tin.
Wool scouring plants were also closed when the railway began charging per bale on wool when all other commodities were charged per pound.
The Deepwater Railway closed in 1972 and the building preserved. Today it is used by local groups e.g. FM Radio Station 2cbd, Carol's by Candlelight and Deepwater Art Group
Technical problems are preventing images to be displayed correctly on this page - Please bear with us as we sort this out - will update this ASAP Sorry about this - there is plenty more below to read
William Collins & his wife emigrated to NSW with seven children in July 1839 on the sailing ship "Kent". They had seven more children at Deepwater station, some years later he moved to Bolivia where he died in 1885.
1885 death notice for William Collins the first manager of Deepwater station for brothers Charles & Archibald Windeyer.-
2 May 1885 OBITUARY.-We learn that on Sunday, the 19th inst., there died at Bolivia one of the oldest residents of the dlstrict and a pioneer in the truest sense of the term. Mr William Collins took up the Deepwater run in 1839 link to full obiturary
Australian Town and Country Journal Saturday 2 May 1885, page 43 National Library of Australia TROVE newspapers online article71026876-4-002
Deepwater Hotel was owned by Thomas Fitzgerald in 1895
Notice of his wife's death -
Below = An interesting news article involving Deepwater Station at the time William Thomas Cadell owned it.
Tenterfield Star, Saturday Morning, October 17 1896
An extraordinary story has reached Glen Innes from Deepwater, the facts of which are vouched for. It appears that a married aboriginal, engaged on Mr W.T.Cadell's property, occupies a hut in one of the paddocks. The woman is suckling a young baby, and during one night last week she awoke to find that instead of the infant a large black snake was attached to her breast, and was regaling itself.The woman awoke her husband in a great fright, and, in doing so, the snake disappeared. After a search had been made the reptile was discovered and shot.
Deepwater Railway Conservation Management Plan - Prepared for the NSW State Rail bu David Ellsmore - Sydney December 2001
Bushranger - Frederick Wordsworth Ward in Deepwater [SRNSW 4/624 No:58/2145]; Clarence & Richmond Examiner 31 March 1868 page 3.
Biography - Charles Windeyer 1780-1855 1st Mayor or Sydney & Pasturalist
Biography - Archibald Windeyer 1785-1870 Landowner & Pasturalist
Biography - John Donald Macansh 1820-1896 Pasturalist, Politician, MLA
Windeyer info from The University of New England Regional Archives
Deepwater Public School 1884-1984 - A History of the school and origins of Deepwater - compiled by Allan Barratt Copies available from http://www.beardieshistoryhouse.info/book_list.html
Journal of Arthur Wellesley Robertson ( per Perthshire 1837). A4/ROB/1 [M Wilson] link